- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised and chopped
- 2-3 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 2-3 small red chilies, sliced (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon galangal or ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a medium pot, bring the broth to a boil.
- Add the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, chilies, and galangal or ginger.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until fragrant.
- Strain the broth to remove the herbs and return it to the pot.
- Add the fish sauce, lime juice, mushrooms, and tomato to the pot.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
- If using shrimp, add them to the pot and simmer until pink and cooked through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve hot with chopped cilantro on top.
Note: You can adjust the spiciness of this soup by adding more or less chilies. If you cannot find kaffir lime leaves, you can use lime zest instead.