7 advantages of regular exercise
You are aware that exercise is beneficial, but how much so? Find out how exercise can improve your life, from improving your mood to your sexual life.
By Mayo Clinic Staff Want to live longer, feel better, and have more energy? Simply exercise.
It’s hard to ignore the health benefits of regular exercise and physical activity. Exercise is good for everyone, no matter their age, sex, or physical ability.
Do you need any more convincing to move? Take a look at these seven ways exercise can make you happier and healthier.
1. Weight loss is controlled by exercise. Regular exercise can aid in weight loss or maintenance. Calories are burned during physical activity. You’ll burn more calories the more intense the activity.
It’s great to go to the gym on a regular basis, but don’t worry if you can’t exercise every day. Any activity is preferable to none at all. Simply increase your daily activity—taking the stairs instead of the elevator or intensifying household chores—to reap the benefits of exercise. Key is consistency.
2. Diseases and conditions can be fought with exercise. Are you concerned about heart disease? Do you hope to lower your blood pressure? Being active reduces unhealthy triglycerides and increases high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, also known as the “good” cholesterol, regardless of your current weight. Your risk of cardiovascular diseases goes down as a result of the smooth blood flow that this combination provides.
It can also help reduce the risk of death from all causes and improve cognitive function.
3. Exercise makes you feel better Do you need to feel better? Or do you want to unwind after a stressful day? A workout at the gym or a quick walk can help. Physical activity can help you feel happier, more at ease, and less anxious by stimulating various brain chemicals.
4. Energized but exhausted from grocery shopping or housework? Strengthening your muscles and increasing your endurance through regular exercise can be beneficial.
5. Better sleep comes from exercise. Having trouble falling asleep? Physical activity on a regular basis can speed up your sleep, improve your quality of sleep, and deepen your sleep. If you exercise too close to bedtime, you might not be able to fall asleep.
6. Exercise brings back the spark in your sex life Are you too worn out or exhausted to enjoy physical intimacy? Your sexual life may benefit from engaging in regular physical activity because it can boost your energy levels and confidence in your appearance.
7. Exercise can be enjoyable—and social!
Physical activity and exercise can be enjoyable. They enable you to relax, take pleasure in the great outdoors, or simply engage in activities that bring you happiness. In a fun social setting, engaging in physical activity can also help you connect with loved ones.